How to make delicious, melt-in-your-mouth meringue pops in the magical form of the unicorn.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
I have got the cutest meringue cookie recipe ever to share with you today! In my everlasting quest to surprise my daughter with unique and colorful treats I discovered these one-of-a-kind, homemade, unicorn meringue cookie pops. I tried making some of these up for a party and they were a huge hit! I love that my daughter is always keeping me on my toes and inspiring me in my creative baking adventures because together we have come up with some of my all-time favorite treats. This is easily one of those top mommy/daughter favorites!
Not only are these cookie pops shaped and decorated like unicorns but they are meringue so you already know that they are going to be scrumptious and melt away in your mouth. All-around can you think of a more perfect sweet treat for young ones?! These are also surprisingly easy to make if you come prepared and prep the tools and ingredients for a successful baking session. Spend a little extra time and put in a little extra love to show your little unicorn lover just how special they are with these unique treats. Whether for a fun unicorn-themed birthday party or just to surprise your little one, these are truly the kid’s treat that can’t be beat!
Unicorn Meringue Pop Equipment
Start the process by gathering your meringue cookie pop equipment. There are quite a few tools needed to make successful unicorn meringue pops but everything is necessary and works together to make sure the process goes smooth and hassle-free. Make sure to get the right supplies and come prepared for this project and half of your work is done already.
- Kitchen Aid mixer
- Glass mixing bowls
- Blending whisk
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper sheets – these are pre-cut to be the perfect size for baking sheets.
- Piping bags
- Piping bag ties
- Metal piping tips
- 6-inch lollipop sticks
- Black food pen
- Food paint palette
- Cake painting brushes
Ingredients for Delicious Unicorn Meringue Pops
Next, it is time to collect the meringue pop ingredients and then you are just a few steps away from having uniquely colorful and delicious treats. Luckily, there are only a few ingredients needed for these delightful, melt-in-your-mouth cookies.
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- ⅛ tsp. of salt
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 tsp. of vanilla extract
- Food coloring: pink, blue, yellow
- ¼ tsp. of clear vanilla extract or vodka Glitter dust (optional but extra fun)
Making the Magic Meringue Pops
Now it is time to start making the magic! These unicorn meringue cookies are so fun and easy to make just as long as you come prepared for smooth sailing (or baking, in this case). Just follow along while I break down the steps and guide you through the magic of making and baking these adorable unicorn cookies.
- First, preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Second, use a pencil to trace the unicorn outlines on the backside of a few parchment paper sheets to pipe the meringue cookies onto later. Line 3 baking sheets with the parchment paper with the drawing side face down.
- Next, drop the egg whites into a glass mixing bowl. Using the kitchen mixer, start beating the egg whites on low speed, slowly increasing to high speed. Beat for about 4 minutes.
- Mix in the salt and cream of tartar.
- Then, gradually add in the powdered sugar 1 tbsp at a time, mixing after each addition.
- After the sugar is completely mixed in, drop the vanilla extract in next.
- Beat all ingredients together on high speed for about 4-5 minutes or until the meringue can hold a nice peak.
- Get 3 glass bowls prepared and scoop 1.5 cups of the meringue mixture into each bowl.
- Next, get your piping bag ready by cutting a small tip from the bag and insert a metal piping tip.
- Use a toothpick to get just a tiny bit of one of the food colors and mix into one of the prepared bowls of meringue batter until a pretty pale color is reached. Repeat with the other food colors in the remaining two meringue bowls.
- Transfer colorful meringue to the prepared piping bag, alternating one large scoop of each color until the bag is ready to be tied off with a piping bag tie.
- Make sure not to leave any airbags inside of the piping bag.
- If the meringue sort of flattened out while getting tools ready, just whisk it for a few minutes with a blending whisk.
- Then, pipe the meringue cookies onto the unicorn outlines on the parchment paper sheets. To make these meringues into unicorn pops, first place down the lollipop sticks then pipe a white meringue on top of it.
- Next, bake the meringue pops for 1 hour, then let them cool in the oven an additional hour or overnight. Make sure to keep the oven closed during the whole cooling process.
- Once the meringue cookie pops are completely cooled, they are ready to be decorated.
- Use a toothpick to drop some clear vanilla and pink food coloring onto a plastic palette and mix together until color is combined.
- Finally, use the pink vanilla mixture and black food pen to draw faces and decorate the unicorn pops. If desired, add a little extra magic to these cookies by dusting them with the edible glitter dust.
- This is a fun step to share with your little one. They will love getting to decorate and customize their own unicorn cookie pops almost as much as they love hanging out with you.
Storing Unicorn Meringue Pops
Make more treats than the kids could eat? Send some home with party guests by wrapping them up in some party favor gift bags for a sweet farewell. Or you can save some of the magic for later enjoyment!
- Keep the unicorn meringue pops in an airtight container on the counter for up to 1 week. Be sure to keep them stored in a cool, dry place.
The Perfect Treat for the Little Ones
After looking at these fun little meringue pops I am sure you have all kinds of ideas running through your mind on what they could be used for and how you can brighten up your little one’s day with them. However, if you are looking for a few suggestions I have plenty for you to think about!
Serve these melt-in-the-mouth unicorn meringue pops for:
- The perfect birthday cookie centerpiece for a unicorn-themed birthday party!
- The best and cutest party favors to serve to your kid’s birthday guests! Just wrap the cookie pops up in some party favor bags and send them home with guests.
- Does your little one love having tea parties? Make tea-time special with these fun unicorn cookie pops.
- Is your child’s birthday going to land on a school day? Package up some of these unicorn birthday cookies in some of those party favor bags and let the whole class celebrate!
- Make these adorable meringue cookie pops for your kid’s sports or dance team party.
- Make these while your little one is at school to surprise them with when they get home to make them feel extra special.
So, are you ready to become the coolest parent on the block? Because that is exactly what will happen when you wow your kiddos and everyone else’s with these fun and unique unicorn meringue pops! It may take a little extra time and love to get them just right but it is so worth it. Your kids will be so surprised and overjoyed at how perfect these meringue pops are for them! Everyone else will be impressed with the thoughtfulness and creativity put into making these little delights too. Basically, you just can not go wrong with these delectable, melt-in-your-mouth, unicorn meringue pops!
Unicorn meringue pops
- Preheat ovet to 200°F.
- Trace with pencil on a backside of a parchment paper outlines for piping meringue. Lined 3 baking sheets with parchment paper, drawing side down.
- Add egg whites to a mixing bowl. Start beating on low and slowly increase the speed to high, about 4 minutes.
- Add salt and cream of tarter.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, one tbsp at a time.
- After the sugar has mixed in, combine vanilla.
- Beat on high speed until meringue can hold a nice peak, about 4-5 minutes.
- Prepare 3 glass bowls. Scoop 1.5 cups of the meringue into each bowl.
- Cut a small tip from the piping bag and insert a metal piping tip.
- Add a small amount of food coloring with a toothpick to a meringue. Then beat with a blending whisk.
- Transfer meringue to a piping bag, one large scoop of each color at a time. Make sure don't leave any airbags inside of the piping bag. If meringue got flat, whisk a few minutes with a blending whisk.
- Pipe meringues into the drawn outlines on parchment paper. For meringue pops, first place a lollipop stick, then pipe a white meringue on top.
- Bake for 1 hour and let it cool in the oven for an additional 1 hour or overnight. Keep the oven door closed during the process.
- Add clear vanilla and pink food coloring with a toothpick into a plastic palette. Mix until color is combined.
- After meringue cookies completely cool, draw faces to unicorn pops. Optional: at the end, dust meringue cookies with glitter dust.