How to make easy, gorgeous, and crowd- pleasing French toast.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
I don’t know about your household but at my house we love breakfast! Breakfast foods of all kinds are always sure to leave my family with full bellies and satisfied taste buds. So it is no surprise at all that one of our top favorites is this mouthwatering, berry good, homemade French Toast! In fact, it is my top favorite go- to sweet breakfast recipe. Not only is this recipe ridiculously easy to make but you can also dress it up however you like. French toast can be served in many different ways just like homemade pancakes!
French toast is one of those recipes that really is incredibly easy to make but also packs a punch full of flavor in every single bite! You can make it with a new loaf of bread or with leftover bread that has reached past its prime (on the verge of stale but not yet old). The secret to making scrumptious French toast at home is all about the thickness of bread you use and the sweet toppings you use to dress it up in.
Equipment for Crowd- Pleasing French Toast
Luckily, this breakfast recipe is super easy to make and does not require a lot of kitchen equipment or tools to make successfully. However, I will go ahead and warn you that you may end up with a little bit of a mess afterwards. But the ease of this recipe is so worth the clean up!
French Toast Equipment:
This French toast recipe can easily be made in a nonstick frying pan or skillet, however, I prefer to use an electric griddle when making large batches like this. The griddle makes it so much easier to cook a bunch at one time but also easier to serve all of the French toast while it is still warm and fresh!
Fancy French Toast Ingredients
Ok, so the ingredients that make up this French toast recipe are not really all that fancy. But the end result of the gorgeously garnished homemade French toast sure looks like it is!
- 1 loaf Texas Toast bread- about 18 slices
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground Nutmeg (optional)
- A pinch of salt
- 2 cups of milk
- cooking spray oil
You can use other sliced bread, breads like brioche are good too, but for the very best French toast results make sure to choose a thickly- sliced loaf of bread. Thinly- sliced bread does not hold up as well during the cooking process and the end result is just not as good overall.
French Toast Garnish Options:
- powdered sugar
- Homemade Mixed Berry Compote
- maple syrup
- fresh berries
- whipped cream
How to Make Flawless Homemade French Toast
Got your equipment ready and your ingredients gathered? Now it is time to move on, get down to business, and break down the steps on how to make this delightfully easy French toast recipe right in your own kitchen.
- First, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt in a large glass mixing bowl.
- Then, pour in the milk and mix everything together well, using the blending whisk.
- Next, start preheating a nonstick frying pan or griddle over medium heat, then spray it with cooking oil.
- Dip each bread slice into the French toast batter, making sure it is completely coated, and carefully place the battered bread on the preheated griddle or pan.
- Use a pancake spatula to flip the French toast slices when they reach a golden brown color. Then, when the second side is the same golden brown color, remove the French toast from the pan.
- Repeat the process until all of the bread is gone, making sure to spray more cooking oil before each new batch.
- I like to use a refillable Vegetable Spray Bottle to easily prepare my griddle for each batch. It’s very important not to skip this step so that your French toast does not get stuck to the pan.
- Finally, garnish the homemade French toast with maple syrup, mixed berry compote, fresh berries, powdered sugar, or whipped cream and serve warm.
More Breakfast Recipes
Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
Coconut banana pancakes
Cranberry Orange Muffins
Caramel Banana Muffins
Spinach and ham frittata
Storing Homemade French Toast
Homemade French toast is one of those sweet treats that is so delectable that everyone usually gobbles it all up. But sometimes when you make a big, crowd- pleasing batch you might end up having a few yummy slices of French toast leftover. That is actually really awesome! It means that breakfast is already taken care of for tomorrow! French toast is incredibly easy to store and heat up again for another day of easy breakfast.
- Just transfer the French toast to an airtight container and store in the fridge for 1- 2 days.
- To reheat, just pop the French toast slices into the microwave or toaster oven for just a couple of minutes.
Warm and Toasty Serving Ideas
French toast is usually served as a full meal on its own but that does not mean you can’t spice things up a little bit by making it part of a diverse breakfast or brunch. Here are a few serving ideas and occasions for you to think about the next time you whip up this yummy recipe.
For the ultimate at- home breakfast or brunch experience try serving this scrumptious homemade French toast with:
- A Spinach and Ham Frittata
- some Oven- Baked Bacon or
- With a Breakfast Charcuterie Board
Other French toast topping ideas:
- Fresh fruit such as halved strawberries or sliced bananas
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Peanut butter or Nutella
- Chocolate syrup
- Extra cinnamon and nutmeg
- Candied walnuts
- Ice cream
Serve this fancy French toast for a:
- Cozy weekend breakfast
- Special birthday breakfast
- Anytime brunch
- Mother’s Day or Father’s Day brunch
- Baby shower brunch
- Fun dessert
- Easy breakfast on the morning of a busy holiday like Christmas or Easter
For small parties or crowds, lay out a buffet- style set up featuring all of the yummy French toast toppings and let everyone top their own French toast with their favorites.
- 1 loaf Texas toast about 18 slices
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg optional
- pinch salt
- 2 cups milk
- cooking spray oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and salt.
- Add milk. Mix everything with a blending whisk.
- Preheat nonstick frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Spray with cooking oil.
- Dip each slice into the french toast batter and place on the preheated pan.
- Flip French toast slice when it reaches golden brown color. Remove French toast from the pan when the second side is the same golden brown color.
- Repeat the process until all bread is gone, spraying more cooking oil before each batch.
- Serve warm. Garnish with maple syrup, mix berry compote, fresh berries, powdered sugar, or whipped cream.
Leave a Reply